Couples who are interested in being married at St. David the King should inquire at least one year in advance of their desired date, so that they can be assured of having the date they want, and so that they will have adequate time for the preparation we encourage for them.

In general, couples should be registered parishioners or have celebrated other sacraments at our parish in the past. If you live in the area and have not yet registered in the parish, we hope you will begin that simple process.

Please contact the parish office as early in your planning process as you can so that we can help with questions and choosing a date. We can also answer questions about fees for use of the church and for music.


Couples should expect to have several meetings with a priest or deacon here. They will first be asked to take the FOCCUS online survey about marriage readiness, and meet to review the results. They will also be asked to take a Pre-Cana preparation course, either in the Diocese of Trenton or in another location more convenient to them. (Engaged Encounter is another option that can take the place of a Pre-Cana course. Engaged Encounter is offered in several locations in New Jersey.) They will also meet with the priest or deacon to choose their scripture readings and discuss their plans for the marriage liturgy itself, and will consult with the parish music director about that aspect of the liturgy.


May a Catholic marry a non-Catholic in a Catholic liturgy?

Yes, this happens often. If a Catholic wishes to marry a baptized Christian from another denomination, this requires the permission of the local bishop (which is routinely granted), but it is seen by the church as a sacramental marriage. If a Catholic wishes to marry a non-baptized person, the bishop can give permission for this as well, but the marriage is not regarded, strictly speaking, as a sacramental one.

Many couples choose to have a wedding liturgy without communion for situations where many of the attendees are expected to be non-Catholics, and where offering communion for some but not others might be seen as divisive.

If I have a previous marriage does it need to be annulled by the Catholic Church?

If your spouse from that marriage is still alive, then yes, any previous marriage must be annulled by the church. In some cases (such as if the marriage involved a Catholic marrying outside of the Catholic Church) annulments can be straightforward and relatively prompt. In other situations they involve a longer and more complex process. We invite you to consult a priest or deacon here if you have questions about what might be involved in your case. We are unable to set a date for a wedding here at St. David the King until any required annulment has been granted.

My spouse and I were not originally married in the church but now we would like to be. Is that possible?

Yes, very much so. This is called a convalidation of your marriage. This is a simple process, especially if neither of you requires a church annulment of a previous marriage. Please approach a priest or deacon here at the parish if you would like to find out more about what might be involved.